I was challenged with painting a portrait of Sarah in a completely different way to what I'm used to. Usually my painting style is very quick and I complete my work in just a few hours. Over these 3 sessions, instead I was encouraged to continue to develop the same portrait. Here is my progress across the 3 weeks.
Week 1 - Initial sketch and laying down of tones.
Week 2 - Blocking out of the larger tonal plains. Usually this is where I would stop.
Week 3 - This week was spent blending the tones and adding the more subtle shades to create a more naturalistic result. Rather than adding extra detail, I found it useful to think of the extra time working on the painting as a chance to refine, improve and correct what I had already completed.